Feb 13, 2012

The Old School Tie


By Farwa Haider

Fade in

AGAINST THE SOUND OF CHIRPING CRICKETS AND A HOOTING OWL A FLOORBOARD CREAKS. A SOFT THUD EMERGES FROM A DOOR BEING SHUT FOLLOWED BY SHUFFLING UNDER SHEETS. A LIGHT TAP IS HEARD AND THEN A CREAK FROM UNOILED HINGES.

JULIA: (quickly) Well- what a surprise!

SNAP OF BOOK BEING SHUT

GEOFFREY: (surprised) So you aren’t asleep?

SOFT THUDS FROM FOOTSTEPS

JULIA: I was just reading for a bit (pauses) But, Geoffrey-
GEOFFREY: (interrupts) I dropped in at the club, you see, and –
JULIA: But I thought you were in such a hurry to get to Sandwich for a good night’s rest.
GEOFFREY: I know Julia (pauses) but at the club I heard I could just as well go in the morning.

SHEETS RUSTLE; BED CREAKS

JULIA: But won’t you have to start from here very early?
GEOFFREY: About ten. My match isn’t till after lunch, just heard. (stops)

SOUND OF FOOTSTEPS HURRIED AND MORE DISTINCT
                     
(alarmed tone) Why, you’re quite white, Julia!
JULIA: (exhaling) Well, you gave me rather a start-
GEOFFREY: (tenderly) I’m sorry darling.
JULIA: (accusing) –thinking you weren’t coming back tonight- and then opening the door like a burglar.
GEOFFREY: (defensive) I was sure you’d be asleep, so I came in as quietly as I could.
JULIA: You aren’t usually so quiet- you must have come in on tiptoe.
GEOFFREY: I can’t make out why it should annoy you.
JULIA: Well, it is rather annoying- your stealing about your own house.
GEOFFREY: Oh nonsense, Julia! What a fuss to make about nothing!
JULIA: I know it is, but all the same, one doesn’t somehow think of a man of six-foot-two            stealing into his own house and up the stairs on tiptoe. Anyone would think-
GEOFFREY: (exasperated; speaking quickly) Really, Julia, you are being ridiculous! Naturally                                    any reasonable man comes home as quietly as he can when he thinks his wife is                                asleep. All I know is, if I had barged in and you had been asleep, you’d have                              been furious.
JULIA:  (no longer mocking) Oh dear, I suppose you’re right.
GEOFFREY: (still annoyed) Of course I am, even though the way you say that puts me in the                                    wrong. I never dreamt you’d be awake, anyhow. Its past midnight, and you said                           at ten you were tired.
JULIA: I was, but I just thought I’d read a little first. You know how it is- one begins reading-          and then it’s past midnight.

Fade out

0 comments:

Post a Comment