Feb 13, 2012

LEGEND OF THE OLD SCHOOL TIE


By Nayab Tufail


Fade In

A HEAVY THUMP. THEN A WHOOSHING SOUND OF WATER.

GEOFFREY: (startled) Is there anyone in that bathroom?
JULIA: Good night.
GEOFFREY: (through gritted teeth) Julia, is-there-anyone-in-the-bathroom?
JULIA: (moving off) G' Night
GEOFFREY: answer me, woman!
JULIA: YES!
GEOFFREY: You- with a lover!
JULIA: What a beastly mind you've got, Geoffrey.

A DISTANT PIANO SOUNDS SOFTLY AND MOURNFULLY

GEOFFREY: Julia, you must be heartless! I don't so much mind your being unfaithful to me but haven't you a thought for our children?
JULIA: Silly ass!
THE PIANO HALTS

GEOFFREY: (yelling) Woman, did you call me a silly ass?
JULIA: Those were my exact words-silly ass.
GEOFFREY: We'll see who's the silly ass! by the time i've done with your lover he'll have to spend the rest of his life in a bathroom. Come out of there, you swine!

WHACKS AND WHAMS

JULIA: You will only hurt your shoulder. Here's the key. A key is awfully useful for opening a door with.
GEOFFREY: (with unconcealable annoyance) You've had the key all the time!
JULIA: yes,dear.
GEOFFREY: Give me that key.
JULIA: Catch!

JANGLE OF KEYS FOLLOWED BY A THUD
          Oh, butter-fingers!

 SOUND OF DOOR UNLOCKING
GEOFFREY: Now then!.. Good God! Your maid!
JULIA: (with superfluous affection) Come here Maisie! Poor Maisie! Were you frightened?
MAISIE: Oh, madam, ever so!
JULIA: Look, Geoffrey, how you have frightened poor Maisie! You had better go to bed now, Maisie.
MAISIE: Yes madam. Goodnight, madam. Goodnight, sir.
JULIA: Goodnight Maisie. Now Geoffrey what have you to say for yourself?
GEOFFREY: Julia, I-I-
JULIA: Poor Geoffrey! (bursts out in a fit of laughter) A cruel joke wasn't it?
GEOFFREY: Julia, will you ever- God, i feel a fool! Will you ever forgive me for suspecting you?
JULIA: (still laughing) But i wanted you to suspect me. I heard you opening the front door, and at once plotted the whole thing. Complacent husband returning unexpected by wife catches lover in wife's bedroom.
GEOFFREY: (deeply,slowly) Do you know, Julia, I've never loved you so-so madly as when i thought I'd lost you. Julia,            don't laugh at me!
JULIA: I'm not laughing. Kiss me.

A LUXURIOUS SMOOCHING SOUND
 Fade Out

0 comments:

Post a Comment